The Howard Miller Clock Company has been in business for more than 90 years and has produced some of the most iconic timepieces of the past century. They are today one of the largest manufacturers of grandfather clocks in the world and also produce an array of mantel clocks. The company has a well-deserved reputation for crafting high-quality timepieces using time honoured principles of construction and the finest materials. If your Howard Miller requires maintenance, repair or refurbishment the Empire Group are the company to call.
25 Years of Howard Miller Clock Service
Proper maintenance and repair of your venerable Howard Miller mantel or grandfather clock requires the patience and skill of the most talented craftsmen and none are better than those of the Empire Group. We take care to retain the integrity and value of your timepiece through the use of best practices and the right replacement parts. We treat every clock we are entrusted to service with the same care and attention to detail and our only goal is to return it to you restored to prime condition.
While the repair and maintenance of your Howard Miller grandfather or mantel clock requires a trained eye and a steady hand there are some simple steps you can take yourself that will head off your having to bring your clock to the Empire Group for repairs. These include:
- Sync the Strike to the Time – Should the time on the clock not match the strike count simply move the hour hand to sync them up. Some people are afraid to move the hands physically thinking they might cause internal damage. Motion of a few centimetres won’t cause any harm.
- Basic Troubleshooting – Should your clock stop unexpectedly you can do some basic troubleshooting yourself to find out what’s happened. First, be sure the clock is wound fully. Second, make sure the hands of the clock are not catching on one another. Third, write down the time the clock stopped. It could be helpful the Empire Group technician to know this.
- Lubricating the clock – The clock should be oiled at least every 5 years. But beware; over-oiling can attract dirt and grime which themselves will eventually necessitate overhauling the clock.
- Protect the components – You should always wear clean cotton gloves when handling the pendulum or weights as the acid on your hands can etch the metal used to make them. And when you are cleaning the inside of the glass on the door never spray the glass cleaner onto the glass. Instead spray it directly onto a clean cloth and use that cloth to clean the window.
- Adjusting the timekeeping – Your clock can actually be sped up or slowed down by adjusting the nut at the bottom of the pendulum. It will likely take some trial and error before you establish or re-establish proper timekeeping but don’t be discouraged.
When you need more involved service or repairs of your Howard Miller Clock contact the Empire Group on 416-740-4445. We’ll restore your beautiful timepiece to perfect operation.